[geeks] [rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Mar 28 12:09:38 CDT 2008

" From: nate at portents.com
"
" >From my perspective, religion was a collective expression of the human
" societal meta-organism to structure the development and behavior of people
" and stabilize the large communities forming with the spread of language
" before the time of a secular legal system, widespread literacy, defined
" commerce and opportunities for secular upward mobility.  We now have the
" opportunity, in a generally less oppressive environment than the past,
" through education and communication to achieve empathy and through that a
" secular morality.
"
" Religion was government, was law, was the education system, was the
" structure of the path to adulthood, essentially a larger 'parent' (hence
" all of the parental attributes of god) to adults everywhere, and is still
" useful for less developed societies.

and of course explaining the inexplicable.  one of the hardest things
for most people to deal with is uncertainty.

now we have science, and it's much better at explaining almost
everything.  it's also more honest about stating its limits, which is
where it seems to fail in comparison to christianity.