[geeks] VMware and CentOS

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Fri Mar 28 11:30:49 CDT 2008

Well...the FullOn 2240 is an all SCSI machine.  SCSI takes the IO off
the CPU's hands and puts it onto the SCSI controller. Modern ATA drives
do something similar with DMA.  The minimum CPU spec for VMware server
is a 733MHz or faster processor that supports the Pentium instruction
set.  So, while the 1 GHz processors aren't the greatest, I don't think
they're being overtaxed.  During startup of a virtual machine the CPUs
get hit a bit but the overall load on the machine is not that much.

I'm going to try your suggestion and to move some files around (6-10GB
sized files) and see if that triggers the issue as well.

Ido

geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

 > I've only run VMware on Windows boxes (WinXP Pro to be precise) with
IDE/SATA storage solutions and only on P4 or greater CPUs.

 > I have to believe (but I'm willing to be wrong ;^) that if your IO is
increasing, so too is your CPU, and I think a PIII is about minimum spec
for VMware
 > Server. I suspect your entire workload is overwhelming your box, and
wonder if you tried to recreate the problem without running VMware
Server (isolate the > OS/drivers)? Maybe just start flopping big files
around the system and see if you can crash it that way - that would
exclude VMware Server from the

--
Ido Dubrawsky
Network Security Architect