[geeks] VMware and CentOS

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Fri Mar 28 08:53:50 CDT 2008

geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

 > Out of curiosity, what constitutes 'enough disk activity'? FWIW, I've
 > run VMware Server 1.0.x on CentOS 4.x on several boxen (older
 > Compaq/HP DL series 320/360/380s, a Dell PowerEdge 750) w/o seeing
 > this behavior.

Well, with VMware Server 1.0.5 -- if I bring up two machines (Windows
Server 2003 SP2) the machine now crashes.  If I bring up only one
machine it appears to be stable.  In the past I could run the system
with 4 machines continuously and it would crash only if I was doing
intensive disk activity -- like installing SQL Server, or something else
like that.

I've got a Solaris virtual machine as well as a couple of Linux/OpenBSD
virtual machines.  I know that I have a limitation with regards to
memory but I usually don't bring up more than two or three machines at a
time.  I'll look into VirtualBox.  Thanks.

Ido

--
Ido Dubrawsky
Network Security Architect