[geeks] Doorbells

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Mar 22 11:44:01 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:09:15AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Like almost everything relating to patents, this is all
> jurisdiction-specific.  (For example, in many - most? - jurisdictions,
> I believe that last paragraph is false, that it is actually a violation
> to practice the invention even privately.)

Not at all. Certainly not in the U.S., Canada, E.U, etc.

> If they were selling into a jursidiction where your patent applied, I
> suspect you would find it easy - well, relatively easy - to stop them.

No, it would not. You have to file suit against them for infringment,
and such cases in the U.S. have gone as far as the supreme court.
Meanwhile they can file suit against you for harrasment, so in the
end very often the company with the best lawyers wins.

It depends upon how honest the infringing company is and how much
they feel the total cost loosing would be.

Geoff.