[geeks] Doorbells

Wed Mar 19 19:40:31 CDT 2008

> Anyone have any ideas how to pick up the signal from a wireless
> doorbell?

I think you need an RF engineer...though, with luck, there may be a few
such knocking around here.

> I'm sick and tired of having a doorbell we just don't HEAR.  If I can
> pick up the signal from the doorbell somehow, I can use it to trigger
> playing something we WILL hear.

Why not just run some Class 2 wire to a real physical button and wire
it up to whatever you feel like?  Like, say,

> You know what I *really* want for a doorbell?  I want a T5051
> aluminum tubular bell, about six feet by about three or four inches
> or so.  That should make a good tone.

...a solenoid pointed at a big aluminum tube? :)

I'm lucky in this respect; my doorbell was already a wired doorbell.  I
couldn't hear it when in the machine room, so I ran some wire and
cobbled together a noisemaker that I *can* hear in the machine room.
(Then I had problems with the switch not making contact.  I took it
apart and cleaned it, and also added a parallel LED so that people can
see the LED go dark when the button works.  The LED doesn't pass enough
current to trip any of the "bells"....)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca