[geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Mar 19 17:49:17 CDT 2008

Phil Stracchino wrote:

> And made worse by the fact thatn in nine out of ten cases, the game
> doesn't NEED administrator privileges; it's just that the company that
> produced the game was lazy.  This is very common with educational games
> - often, not only do they require administrator privilege to install,
> but your kids can't even save games unless you give them write
> privileges to the game install folder because the game designer was just
> too bloody lazy to have the game save in a user-owned folder.

A lot of times, it also/instead has to do with the bullshit copy
protection that comes with your game as a free upgrade :). I seem to
recall something about a copy control scheme requiring direct hardware
access to get raw reads from the cd drive (or something), which
(apparently) needs Administrator access under Windows XP.

  - Micah