[geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Mar 16 10:58:47 CDT 2008

Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:49:22PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>> Does that work? (seriously)
>
> I had mixed results with XP and non-Administrator users (family PeeCee).
> Most applications worked perfectly, but quite a few games refused to
> install with a non-Administrator user. Not helped by the fact that XP makes
> it a real PITA to switch users for certain applications (a real PITA for
> 'regular' users).

And made worse by the fact thatn in nine out of ten cases, the game
doesn't NEED administrator privileges; it's just that the company that
produced the game was lazy.  This is very common with educational games
- often, not only do they require administrator privilege to install,
but your kids can't even save games unless you give them write
privileges to the game install folder because the game designer was just
too bloody lazy to have the game save in a user-owned folder.

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.