[geeks] running windows XP as an unprivledged user

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Mar 18 03:05:33 CDT 2008

I tired running my Windows XP system as an unprivledged user.

Mostly it worked. Where it failed was doing anything that involved
devices. For example, I could install the drivers for a BlueTooth
dongle, because the system recognized them and ask for them.

Then I had to reboot to "complete the instalation" and when it rebooted,
it would recognize the device but do nothing with it. When I logged out
and in again as an administrator, it ran whatever had to be run to finish.

Then I tried to install the Nokia software for my phone. It would not
install it because I was not an administrator. I used the run as administrator
option and it would not run at all because it was on a network share and
Administrator had no access to the file.

I coppied it onto the local hard drive and it installed properly.

However when I went to access my phone, it would not work. In order
to properly "bind" the bluetooth phone to the computer, I needed
administrator privledges. It would get as far as asking me to enter
a password on the phone, but then the authorization would fail.

Oh well, back to administrator.

Anyone know of an equivalent to sudo, where I can specify no password
request for a particular file?

Thanks,

Geoff.