[geeks] half-depth 1U servers (link)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 12 08:48:02 CDT 2008

>From: Jeff Cole <jeff at flambe.org>
>Date: 2008/03/12 Wed AM 08:41:07 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] half-depth 1U servers (link)

>On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:59:56AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> This is a follow-up to a recent thread about shallow 1U x86 servers, here is a link to a retailer that has some such servers for sale (the "rackable" brand servers are designed for two to be installed in a regular 1U slot):
>
>I can't say enough bad things about Rackable. The company I currently
>work for is in the process of RMAing 18 of their 3U storage servers.
>This only after going around and around with them for 6 months trying to
>hammer out an agreement. We incurred a large amount of data loss due to faulty
>drive firmware, faulty chassis design, and faulty RAID card firmware. We were able
>to recover some data thanks to On Track, but, some of the data was just
>gone forever.

THat sucks, but honestly, these little servers should be immune from those types of problems (I'm not sure what, if anythng, Rackable would customize on a barebones server beyond a BIOS splash screen).

Not an endorsement, just a viewpoint. A half-depth, P4 Xeon SCSI server for about $250 is not a bad deal, IMHO (if you can trust the hardware, and of course, YMMV).

Lionel