[geeks] Apple iBook issues...

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Sun Mar 9 16:41:05 CDT 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 22:20, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Mike F wrote:
>
>> Heh, I recently went through a similar scenario. My iBook G3/600
>> was experiencing display problems and booting problems, and I
>> confirmed it was the video chip separating from the logic board by
>> pressing on the area to the left of the trackpad and booting it up.
>> Prior to this, it wouldn't boot at all, but with pressure it would
>> boot and stay running for a while at least.
>
> We're still under Applecare, so if it keeps happening they can deal
> with it.

Oh, goodie!

> The trick is we JUST got this laptop BACK with a new logic board 2
> weeks ago.

Oh, even better! Still under full coverage for the repair, even. Bring
it in, and pray it breaks a third time before the warranty runs out,
they'll give you a new one. Since it's no longer produced, there's a
good chance they'll give you the current "equivalent". I've seen it
happen to two friends.

I was *so* trying to get my iBook G3/900 to develop the loose GPU a
third time before the extended repair period (three years) ran out,
but the second time 'round they must've done something right, because
it just refused to break. No matter how often I lifted it up by just a
corner of the case, it just kept chugging along.

It still does, almost five years now, on loan to a friend who uses it
daily. I remember instructing her to "handle it as roughly as possible
until the end of May, if it hasn't broken by then, be extremely gentle
with it."

Heh.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Pay attention to your enemies for they are the first to discover your
mistakes.