[geeks] [Hackntosh]

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 11:41:50 CDT 2008

>From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/03/08 Sat PM 04:43:20 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] possible good laptop deal

<snip>

>On the one hand it would be cool to have a hackintosh, but on the
>other, having to fiddle with patching too much would kind of undermine
>the whole point of the Mac, you know?

I am on the verge of a Hackintosh build, I've got most of my bits, just need
to sit down and do it - I found that the "craptacular" MB Mfg. ECS makes one
very well supported MB, the 945GCT-M/1333 that takes all manner of current
CPUs, (only) 2 Gigs of RAM, has 4x SATA ports and has support for everything
on-board (Quartz Extreme video, networking, and sound, though only audio out,
not in, for some reason). Anyway, my build is looking like this:

Board $40 (AR), CPU E2160 $70, 2 Gig RAM $40, 750 Gig SATA HD for $129[0],
DVD-R/W $30, Antec case w/power supply $50 (AR) and there appears to be a DVD
that makes booting this system into OS X pretty painless...

Lionel

[0] Microcenter.com is have a promotion, buy a MB or CPU, get a Seagate 750
SATA 300 HD for $129, a $30 discount off their list price.