[geeks] Academic Stupidity

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:49:07 CST 2008

On 7 Mar 2008, at 16:45, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>> Date: 2008/03/07 Fri AM 10:26:46 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: [geeks] Academic Stupidity
>
>> http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/309855
>>
>> This Luddite professor needs to be strung up by the balls.
>
> Well, hold on - it is a fair question to pursue, and the outcome may
> be obvious, but I think it should be asked. Two quotes from the fine
> article:
>
> "While Neale admits the professor stipulated the online homework
> questions were to be done independently, she said it has long been a
> tradition for students to brainstorm homework in groups,
> particularly in heavy programs such as law, engineering and medicine."
>
> That's called the "everybody does it, why are you picking on me
> defense"
>
> And the following:
>
> "But Neale admitted the invitation to the Facebook group may have
> been what landed them in trouble. It read: "If you request to join,
> please use the forms to discuss/post solutions to the chemistry
> assignments. Please input your solutions if they are not already
> posted."
>
> Still, said Neale, "no one did post a full final solution. It was
> more the back and forth that you get in any study group."
>
> That's called the "I'm a dope and put something that contravenes
> school/teacher policy in writing in a public place with my name on
> it" move.
>
> Honestly, the key words are "to be done independently" - the very
> nature of this group, it's very reason for being was to violate that
> "rule".

I think sending the guy down for it (that's British for being kicked
out of a Uni) is too harsh, I think they should penalise all people
involved equally and penalise them academically. The institute in
question has over-reacted, and also has made him a scapegoat for the
148 or so people using the group, which kinda sucks. Cheats should be
taught the error of their ways, but kicking them out makes you look
bad and also ends the education of a perfectly intelligent (all though
lacking common sense, but the two are not necessarily nesting partners
as I'm sure people here well know) and potentially good student.

I'm with Lionel, it strikes me he screwed up, and now instead of
admitting a fair cop, is whining that he's done nothing wrong when he
clearly has, in the eyes of the academic establishment and anyone who
has read about it.The rules regarding working individually are there
to strengthen your individual abilities, something that is as
important when in the 'big wide world' as being able to collaborate
with others. If they'd wanted group collaboration on the exercise and
wanted conferral they'd have asked or permitted the students to
confer. Rules are set on academic exercises for a reason. If you
violate them you should be responsible for the consequences. I think
it's a hurricane in a teapot myself...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: