[geeks] Academic Stupidity

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 11:36:55 CST 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/309855
>>
>> This Luddite professor needs to be strung up by the balls.
>
> Well, hold on - it is a fair question to pursue, and the outcome may
> be obvious, but I think it should be asked. Two quotes from the fine
> article:
>
> "While Neale admits the professor stipulated the online homework
> questions were to be done independently, she said it has long been a
> tradition for students to brainstorm homework in groups, particularly
> in heavy programs such as law, engineering and medicine."
>
> That's called the "everybody does it, why are you picking on me
> defense"
>
> And the following:
>
> "But Neale admitted the invitation to the Facebook group may have
> been what landed them in trouble. It read: "If you request to join,
> please use the forms to discuss/post solutions to the chemistry
> assignments. Please input your solutions if they are not already
> posted."
>
> Still, said Neale, "no one did post a full final solution. It was
> more the back and forth that you get in any study group."
>
> That's called the "I'm a dope and put something that contravenes
> school/teacher policy in writing in a public place with my name on
> it" move.
>
> Honestly, the key words are "to be done independently" - the very
> nature of this group, it's very reason for being was to violate that
> "rule".
>
> There is another way this differs from a study group - this group
> created an archive of this teacher's chemistry homework questions,
> and again, although fraternaties do this, they usually aren't
> supposed to, and likely get in trouble when they do - just like this
> kid did.
>
> Kinda like "Hey,I used to make copies of my roomates CDs, so why is
> it illegal when I did it on Napster?" (It was always illegal, it was
> only enforced against Napster - they created a critical mass of
> violations that made it too easy to go after...)

If it is indeed the case that this would be against the rules, then
*all* of the students involved should be expelled.  Including any
student who worked with another student in the library, or any student
that took tutoring, or even any student that took help from the
professor.  Making an example from one student is disingenuous.

Peace...  Sridhar