[geeks] PC Hardware (Power Supplies)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Tue Mar 4 14:36:18 CST 2008

Quoth Shannon Hendrix ...
> On Mar 4, 2008, at 04:53 , Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
[about the Ford-powered Sunbeam Tiger]
> > ... and what' _really_ funny about that combination is that
> > Chrysler owned Rootes Group at the time; Sunbeam was
> > Rootes's "sporty" brand.
>
> That's very interesting.
>
> Did Chrysler handle any of Sunbeam's racing?

Not that I know of.  I don't think the Tiger ever went into big-time racing,
and the big car companies didn't fool with SCCA racing much.  Sunbeam had a
lot of rally successes in those days, though, but it was all in Europe, and
probably handled by Rootes's people.

By the way ... Wikipedia says ...

"Production of the Tiger lasted from just 1964 until Chrysler purchased
Rootes in June 1967. Chrysler could not be realistically expected to sell a
car with a Ford engine, but had no suitable engine of its own with which to
replace the Ford - Chrysler V8 engines all had the distributor positioned at
the rear of the engine, unlike the front-mounted distributor of the Ford V8,
making it impossible to fit the Chrysler engine into the Sunbeam engine bay
without major, and expensive, revisions. Thus the Tiger was cancelled."

... which is different from my recollection, but it was a long time ago.

-Shel