[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jun 27 14:14:52 CDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 11:55 , Nadine Miller wrote:

> There is a "tweak" to enable non-supported devices (e.g. a NAS; you
> might need to use Samba, haven't investigated it further) for Time
> Machine. <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080420211034137
> >

> Or just use rsync (maybe the rsync snapshot scripts)?

rsync is only good for the raw files.

It will not copy any of the Mac specific file metadata, which many
applications depend on.

So, you really can only trust rsync for data, and even some data files
have meta information the apps need.

I'm not sure if there is an rsync that will handle that or not.  I've
had trouble making that part work so I only copy data files to remove
machines, everything else goes to Time Machine or one of the Mac
backup programs.

I've not found a really good spanning DVD backup program yet, but the
one from the Printfolio guys seems promising.