[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:55:05 CDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 7:05 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> How do the 'geeks' people here backup their Apple machines?
>
> I've tried timemachine, but I only have a 120GB external USB drive to
> back up my 120GB hard disk in my macbook. It sort-of works - I have to
> exclude certain folders (e.g. ~/Pictures) so that it will even allow a
> backup to commence in the first place, but upon a subsequent
> timemachine backup it will complain that there isn't enough space to
> perform a backup. So it doesn't have the capability to do an
> 'rsync'. And don't get me started about the non-existent support for
> network drives like NFS.

There is a "tweak" to enable non-supported devices (e.g. a NAS; you
might need to use Samba, haven't investigated it further) for Time
Machine. <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
story=20080420211034137>

Or just use rsync (maybe the rsync snapshot scripts)?

I have 70GB HD in the PBook with a 120GB Time Machine drive.  I get
around it deleting backups too regularly by excluding system files.
Basically, only my home dir gets backed up.  It's sub-optimal, but
better than what I was doing before (nothing regular).

=Nadine=