[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Jun 27 09:38:00 CDT 2008

> How do the 'geeks' people here backup their Apple machines?

I currently do it manually, with a combination of CarbonCopyCloner and
buring certain things to CD-R and DVD-R for long-term archiving, but I'm
planning to give Time Machine a try when I move to 10.5.

> Ideally, I would like to perform a regular rsync, but am not sure how
> well it would work on an Apple. Anyone here got a method, or a
> suggestion?

Check these links out for some background and ideas:

http://patternbuffer.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/a-history-of-rsync-on-mac-os-x/

http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html

http://archive.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/rsyncx.html

- Nate