[geeks] I know it's really just an Intel server, but...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 26 09:54:14 CDT 2008

>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>Date: 2008/06/26 Thu AM 09:53:25 EDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] I know it's really just an Intel server, but...

>There's a fellow on eBay offering "New in Open Box" Sun V65x servers, fairly well equipped (2x 3.06 GHz Xeon, 2 Gig RAM, one 73 Gig SCSI HD with room for 5 more drives in HS trays, rail kit, etc.) for $295 + $49.95 S/H.
>
>Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280239347532

<snip>

>These are really just Intel server boards in Sun-branded chassis, but that's a lot of "umph" in a $300 box. What is this server missing? Built-in RAID, but Intel add-in "zero channel" RAID cards are supposedly supported by not only Solaris, but Windows Server and (presumably) *BSDs and Linux.

Check that - the "zero channel" RAID card is NOT supported by Solaris, just Windows and a few other OS:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/srczcr/sb/cs-007036.htm

I'm suprised at the lack of Solaris support, but I guess they felt rather than invest time in writing/porting a driver, they'd rely on more common SCSI RAID cards or software RAID (this is a circa 2003 decision). With 3 full-height and 3 half-height 64 bit 100 MHz PCI-X slots, this machine has plenty of room for add-in controllers...

Lionel