[geeks] I know it's really just an Intel server, but...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 26 08:53:25 CDT 2008

There's a fellow on eBay offering "New in Open Box" Sun V65x servers, fairly well equipped (2x 3.06 GHz Xeon, 2 Gig RAM, one 73 Gig SCSI HD with room for 5 more drives in HS trays, rail kit, etc.) for $295 + $49.95 S/H.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280239347532

He's got 9 of them available.

On a similar note, there is another seller with HD trays for $8/each, plus $7 S/H no matter how many you order:

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170232002847

He's got 48 trays available.

These are really just Intel server boards in Sun-branded chassis, but that's a lot of "umph" in a $300 box. What is this server missing? Built-in RAID, but Intel add-in "zero channel" RAID cards are supposedly supported by not only Solaris, but Windows Server and (presumably) *BSDs and Linux.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260253493609

Not sure about the performance of such a system, but that seems like a real nice "knock-around" SCSI-based server for not alot of money:

Server:             $295
RAID Controller:    $ 69 (for two)
5 Additional Trays: $ 40
                    ----
Total               $404 + S/H

Anyway, I thought others here might be interested...

Lionel