[geeks] Multitools?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jun 24 13:01:19 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:08:49PM -0500, Chad McAuley wrote:
> So what do you guys use/like as far as multitools are concerned?

I started out with a Leatherman Wave, but have "graduated" to their slightly
smaller tools that ride in a pocket well and don't need a sheath.

2-3 years ago I started out with the Juice S2 in grey:

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-70208003K-Juice-Pocket-Multi-Tool/dp/B0007UQ1BK

A year and a half ago, I replaced it with a Juice CS4 in blue:

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-74204003K-Pocket-Multi-Tool-Glacier/dp/B0007UQ188

One thing I've noticed is that they've vastly improved the coloring
coating.  The grey S2 seemed to just be "painted", as the grey coloring
wore off or got scratched off easy (it looks REALLY beat up), while the
newer CS4 seems to be actual anodized aluminum.  The only wear that shows
on the new tool is an actual physical ding/chip along one side of a handle
edge (and you have to look for it to find it).  Otherwise, the finish is
fine and not scratched by my keys in my pocket, getting dropped, etc.

So, my current pocket carry is the Leatherman Juice CS4, and a Benchmade
Griptilian folding knife with a plain (not combo) edge and yellow handle:

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-556S-YEL-Mini-Griptilian-Yellow-ComboEdge/dp/B0018LVSS8

Bill

--
Bill Bradford