[geeks] Cheap Dell "Server" (SC440), from $249 + S/H

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 24 05:55:30 CDT 2008

Hello all,

Dell is having a three-day sale on the PowerEdge SC440 "Server", starting at $249 for a Core 2 Duo E2180-based system with 80 Gig SATA HD, CD-ROM, and 512 Meg RAM and no OS[0]. For another $69 you can pump up the RAM to 4 Gig, and for another $100 you can upgrade to a Xeon CPU. This is a "USA Only" deal AFAIK.

I put the word "server" in quotes becuase this really is a low-end server, with a desktop-class CPU, single power supply, and only room for a couple internal HDs (no hot-swap trays).

These low-cost systems always spark some interest here, so I thought I'd share the link with the list.

Lionel

[0] http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bsdwd2h&s=bsd