[geeks] A few interesting products...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Jun 22 14:39:06 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 09:09:54PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> The little IDE-CF converter that I have is mighty simple - one wire to
> each pin of the CF, and there is no chip on it. Is there a translator
> chip inside the actual CF unit then?

Correct.

Were you to crack open a CF card, you would probably see one translator
chip and one or more flash chips, either NOR (smaller cards) or NAND
(modern cards).  The flash chips are the same as pretty much any other
NOR or NAND flash to my understanding.

BTW, SD cards also have translator chips.  I think that SD always uses
NAND flash though.

xD, OTOH, does not have a translator chip.