[geeks] EVE: the new addition...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 16 17:11:24 CDT 2008

Through a process completely out of my own control, I have been sucked
into the EVE universe and can't get out.

Anyone else here play?

I played Star Fleet Battles from 1984-1992 or so, and I tried EVE a
few years ago.  It seemed interesting, but also buggy so I gave up on
it.

Then the other day I tried again out of curiosity, and it is much
better.  The Mac client sucks, but the Windows client is excellent now.

This game reminds me a lot of SFB because it has the same mechanics
for ship outfitting and combat is familiar, along with energy
management and so on.

Then it adds real time and RPG on top of that.  Not perfect, nothing
is, but very interesting.

When I played SFB, we added our own role playing on top by forming
tribes or corporations, making up our own thing rather than going with
the TV/movie story line.

I also played Starfire, a simpler game, but similar ideas.  Mostly
Starfire was a faster, more streamlined game but with more player
creating input into ship design.

Anyway, I decided to pay for 3 months and see how I like it.

One nice thing is it can be interesting without spending endless time
in the game, and a couple of pirates loaned me enough money to buy a
destroyer...