[geeks] Glowing Review: Rational Purify

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 09:10:15 CDT 2008

On Jun 13, 2008, at 4:10 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 06:55:47PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Maybe what we need is a feature in all production OS that a valgrind
>> or a Purify could hook into to help make the analysis part of the
>> code
>> portable.
>
> That may be what we need, but as long as Windows is a production OS,
> we
> are screwed.
>
> Does DTrace do any of this sort of task?  I'm still rather hazy on
> DTrace.  On the upside, it is available for 3 OSs already.  If someone
> ported it to Linux, it would probably really dominate whatever it is
> that it really does.

My somewhat weak understanding of DTrace suggests it is "truss" on
steroids with reg-ex support (based on an several year old BayLISA or
LISA presentation).

My readings indicate it's more for analyzing performance bottlenecks
across a whole server rather than a single application.

<http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/server/unix/os/solaris10/dtrace/

<http://mediacast.sun.com/users/~bobn/media/Bootcamp-DTrace.pdf>

Some good stuff here: <http://blogs.sun.com/bobn/entry/past_solaris_boot_camps_and
 > on Solaris topics, and here <http://opensolaris.org/os/community/advocacy/os-presentations/
 >  This second one has a  video of Bryan Cantrill presenting DTrace
Tricks and Tips.

=Nadine=