[geeks] Intel Atom MB - Initial Impressions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 18:58:59 CDT 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 7:28 PM, Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My D945GCLF, the low-cost Atom-based MB arrived this morning, and I
>> just threw it in a case and installed WinXP Pro on it tonight (for
>> testing, I plan to also try Solaris, Ubuntu, and Server 2008. All
>> 64-bit.
>
> I like these Intel boards, but they are too pricey given what they
> are missing.

These boards are good as appliances, and low-end desktops, IMHO - not
much more...

> I'm looking at a $48 AsRock Wolfdale 1333-D667 for a sub-$500 Mac.
> It takes the 45nm C2Ds, and has 4 SATA headers, 1 IDE, 1 PCI-E x16,
> 1PCI-E 1x, 2 PCI, and takes up to 4GB of RAM @ 2x2GB.

Intel has two *high end* mini-ITX MB coming down that look nice, but
cost close to $200. They take any socket 775 CPU, including quad core
CPUs

> With a $190 E8400, and an $80 nVidia 8600GT, RAM, and a couple of
> SATA hard drives, there's the mid-tower Mac I wanted announced
> instead of an iPhone 3G. :-)  It will run a vanilla kernel.

That's a machine that in no way would be considered low-end ;^)

I plan to try one of the Mac OSX discs and see about a very low-end
mac-like machine.

> Gotta sell some more stuff so I can order it...

Good luck ;^)

Lionel