[geeks] Intel Atom MB - Initial Impressions

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 18:28:13 CDT 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My D945GCLF, the low-cost Atom-based MB arrived this morning, and I
> just threw it in a case and installed WinXP Pro on it tonight (for
> testing, I plan to also try Solaris, Ubuntu, and Server 2008. All 64-
> bit.

I like these Intel boards, but they are too pricey given what they are
missing.

I'm looking at a $48 AsRock Wolfdale 1333-D667 for a sub-$500 Mac.  It
takes the 45nm C2Ds, and has 4 SATA headers, 1 IDE, 1 PCI-E x16, 1PCI-
E 1x, 2 PCI, and takes up to 4GB of RAM @ 2x2GB.

With a $190 E8400, and an $80 nVidia 8600GT, RAM, and a couple of SATA
hard drives, there's the mid-tower Mac I wanted announced instead of
an iPhone 3G. :-)  It will run a vanilla kernel.

Gotta sell some more stuff so I can order it...

=Nadine=