[geeks] New small Intel Board

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jun 5 18:05:32 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:57:34PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2008, at 23:50, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> >... I don't really want to install my own CPU, although it
> >is probably easier now than it was in the P4 monster days.
>
> The KPC looks to use the same LGA775 socket as the P4, so fitting the
> CPU and sink is probably almost as much of a PITA as it was on a P4. I
> know my dad built a C2d PC and it was a exactly the same as the P4
> setup if yo used the Intel sink. A real PITA with thos silly push-down
> tab things.

yep, that is probably why I didn't want to do it.

The most recent I'd worked on is first generation P4 2.8ghz (first gen
meaning the first time they hit 2.8, not that it is actually a first gen
P4), and it wasn't fun and I'd heard that newer P4s just got worse.

I was hoping that in the case of the C2D, you wouldn't have to worry
quite as much about your thermal paste job though.  I've heard a lot of
people say that if you use too much you ruin the CPU and if you use too
little you ruin the CPU.