[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

Tue Jun 3 11:15:19 CDT 2008

>>> Why beacuse it's bad business?  Messy?  Noisy?
>> [...] because it is _sufficiently widely agreed to be_ immoral.
> Well, there is also the concept of your rights ending where they
> infringe upon the rights of another.

Yes, but that's not absolute; it can't be.  Whenever two people (or,
more generally, rights-having entities) interact, there will be things
that can be seen as bearing on the rights of each, and thus it becomes
a question of which right, and of which entity, wins.  "Your right to
swing your fist ends where my nose begins" is not an absolute; it's a
judgement call, judging that the right to nasal integrity wins over the
right to swing fists.  In that case, it's a fairly easy call (well, for
most people, at least), but as soon as you start looking closely, you
find much less clear examples.

> [...], and yes that is protected by the Constitution.

What Constitution?  Is this discussion limited to just one
jurisdiction?  If so, which one?  If it's not Canada, I should probably
bow out.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca