[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 2 21:01:44 CDT 2008

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/06/02 Mon PM 09:28:34 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

>Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>> I consider abortion to be immoral.  I consider divorce to be immoral.
>>> I wouldn't even attempt to make either illegal.
>>
>> Do you consider murder and rape to be immoral?
>
>Yes.
>
>> If so, should murder and rape be illegal?
>
>Yes, but not because its immoral.

Why beacuse it's bad business? Messy? Noisy?

>> Abortion, according to Roman Catholic doctrine, is a form of murder.
>
>I don't have a problem with making it illegal to kill a fetus, provided
>that the law makes it possible for the woman to not carry the child to
>term herself.

WTF are you on about?

No offense, but are you saying that abortion should be legal until we have fetuses that are a transportable from one "baby carrier" to another? AFAIK, this technology doesn't exists, and I quite honestly don't see how if we had this amazing new technology it would take something that was OK and make it illegal... It's OK to abort a fetus if it imposes too much hardship on the mother? That is a poor justification in my humble opinion - akin to it's OK to steal if your *really* hungry and there is no one willing to feed you, as soon as someone offers you food, then it is then wrong to steal?

>The Roman Catholic argument is that the rights of the mother cannot be
>paramount to the rights of the child.  I don't have a problem with that
>argument, however I would add that the rights of the child also cannot
>be paramount to the rights of the mother.

Fine, wait nine months and then ask the baby if it's OK with being terminated - you are punishing the fetus for not yet having the powers of cognition and communication. The woman's rights trump the baby's because she can hit the "buzzer" first when the question is asked...

I am not a fan of that logic...

Lionel