[geeks] Upper Memory Limit - Java

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 31 07:23:41 CST 2008

>From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/01/31 Thu AM 06:44:45 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Upper Memory Limit - Java

>On Jan 30, 2008 7:34 PM, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at liftport.com> wrote:
>> To be fair, after a round of phone calls last night and today this seems
>> to be a self-inflicted issue; other customers are putting far larger
>> amounts of data through without the problems we are having;  I suspect
>> the guys running EDI don't quite have a handle on 'how' to do what
>> they're asking the software to do.
>>
>> Which reminded me of a conversation I had with them two months ago ..
>>
>> Me: (Looking at the raw xml files that are hundreds and hundreds of mb
>> in size ) Those are some big files.
>
>If it is not a trade secret, what kind of data are you transferring
>that might require such HUGE files? I've never seen XML files that
>big, short of a database dump we had to do for our corporate office.

My guess - every night they send cumulative monthly or quarterly EDI transactions (invoices/etc) that include every invoice/order for the month/quarter - luckilly, the software just purges the duplicate invoices/orders, so nothing is ever lost.

I have seen such "cleverness" in the clinical drug trials space, IIRC, Oracle CLinical could be set to accept and reject duplicate transactions, and non-technical project managers would think that was a great way to ensure nothing ever got lost between our servers and the customers, except, for some reason, the transfers got a bit slow towards the end of the month...

Lionel