[geeks] Thumper wannabe? (a few more low cost x86 server)

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Thu Jan 24 23:29:41 CST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:06:00PM -0600, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

| Also, I wonder at their "redundant" PSU setup - does triple 300W PSUs
| sound like enough power to you? Wouldn't a full load of 16 drives max
| them all out simultaneously?

Drives don't use that much power.

Hell, the computer I'm using right now has an AMD Athlon X2 5200+, 8
GB of RAM, a Geforce 8400GS, six 200 GB IDE drives, two 300 GB SATA
drives, and two optical drives -- and a 300 or 350 watt power supply.
And it runs 24/7 for months at a time.

I'll bet two 300w PSUs would be enough to power all sixteen drives in
that (and the rest of the computer.)

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us      Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.