[geeks] Thumper wannabe? (a few more low cost x86 server)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 24 22:58:53 CST 2008

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2008/01/24 Thu AM 09:22:29 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Thumper wannabe? (a few more low cost x86 server)

<snip>

>I'm not seeing any real relationship between any of these and thumper.
>Servers that could take 12 harddrives were out well before thumper
>arrived.

The Thumper reference was to give the post a Sun connection (I just think of
the Thumper server as a small box with a lot of disks/storage - if you shoved
a dozen 500 Gig IDE drives in this box you'd have a lot of storage in a small
box)

>And the other two were particularly far from thumperish.  4 drives is
>nothing.

Agreed - they were listed for their price-point...

>For the topless box, I do like the idea of sticking the motherboard in
>backwards so that USB/ and VGA are on the front.  I'm not sure the
>inside is the best layout though.  I wonder what design decisions made
>it so that they needed it to be a short depth case.

Small server rooms? These appear to have been made for two rail racks, where a
20 inch deep server would put too much stress on the rack rails. Also, these
types of servers are used for applications where a server is installed in a
non-IT 19" rack which isn't two feet deep.

Lionel