[geeks] Thumper wannabe? (a few more low cost x86 server)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 24 09:22:29 CST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 07:40:20AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Just came across this server:
>
>  - Dual 3.06 GHz Xeons on an Intel MB
>  - 2 Gigs or RAM (PC-3200 DDR)
>  - Dual Ethernet
>  - 12x 250 Gig IDE HDs (3 TB total raw storage) on 12 port RAID controller
>  - Triple-redundant power supply
>  - 3U design
>
> $829.95 + $1.95 for S/H from Justdeals.com (I've bought from them in the past,
> always went well)
>
> Link: http://justdeals.com/Items/GS_SVR-C8G?sck=46180970
>
> This server struck me as a "Ghetto version" of Sun's Thumper server...
>
> They also have an odd "topless" server for $299 with 4x 36 Gig SCSI drives:
>
>  http://justdeals.com/Items/GS_SVR-A2?sck=46180970
>
> and another IDE-based server with 4x 200 Gig IDE drives on a four port RAID
> controller for $314.95:
>
>  http://justdeals.com/Items/GS_SVR-B7C?sck=46180970

I'm not seeing any real relationship between any of these and thumper.
Servers that could take 12 harddrives were out well before thumper
arrived.

And the other two were particularly far from thumperish.  4 drives is
nothing.

For the topless box, I do like the idea of sticking the motherboard in
backwards so that USB/ and VGA are on the front.  I'm not sure the
inside is the best layout though.  I wonder what design decisions made
it so that they needed it to be a short depth case.