[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jan 18 11:14:26 CST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 2:54 AM, Mark wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2008, at 01:30, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>>> The point is that network drives do not work in 10.5 unless you
>>> have a
>>> OS X Server with a Time Machine server online (I think??).
>>
>> I've never heard of nor have I see a TM server on my machine.
>
> Ooops, I swear I did read that somewhere but I' struggling to find it
> to post a link. Maybe OS X server does support backup to it's volumes
> using Time Machine,

There might be some kind of component in the server version.  I don't
keep up with that much so I don't know.

> but Time Machine can't backup to a 'normal'
> network share? I don't know anymore :\

 From what I've read, you just need the filesystem to support it.

At first, Time Machine had trouble with wireless disks, but people
have gotten that working, so it must be possible.

Either that, or a whole lot of people are reporting success falsely.

>> TM is a front-end on the ancient UNIX trick of hard-link mirrors.
>> Therefore, it seems the only thing you need in a remote drive is
>> support for hard links.
>
> That suggests to me that there would have to be a client/server
> interaction, unless AFP or NFS support hard-linking?

I would think so.

I thought people were using CIFS volumes for this, but I could be wrong.

I might give it a try.

I know the forums were full of discussion about getting TM working
over wireless and a few other things.