[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 01:54:48 CST 2008

On 17 Jan 2008, at 01:30, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Mark wrote:
>
>> On 16 Jan 2008, at 04:51, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> Also, doesn't the current airport base station allow you to add a
>>> USB 2.0 HD? At $179 for
>>> the airport base and $120 for the 500 Gig HD is reasonable, but it
>>> won't
>>> displace an existing airport extreme base station (IMHO)...
>>
>> The point is that network drives do not work in 10.5 unless you
>> have a
>> OS X Server with a Time Machine server online (I think??).
>
> I've never heard of nor have I see a TM server on my machine.

Ooops, I swear I did read that somewhere but I' struggling to find it
to post a link. Maybe OS X server does support backup to it's volumes
using Time Machine, but Time Machine can't backup to a 'normal'
network share? I don't know anymore :\

> TM is a front-end on the ancient UNIX trick of hard-link mirrors.
> Therefore, it seems the only thing you need in a remote drive is
> support for hard links.

That suggests to me that there would have to be a client/server
interaction, unless AFP or NFS support hard-linking?

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>