[geeks] Business Decision Help, Please

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Jan 18 00:52:54 CST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:23:03AM +0200, sammy ominsky wrote:
> Is it reasonable to ask for the one I really want as opposed to the
> one that'll "do the job"?

(sent to the list)

Sam, the problem is that "do the job" is a moving target. Last night,
let's say your boss wanted to see a small picture on the screen
and a VoIP call.

Next year he may want a videoconference and an HDTV stream.
No matter what you buy, it will eventually run out of steam and
in today's world of rapidly changing requirements for video and
other content, it will be sooner than later.

By buying something cheaper, you may be able to "get the job done"
now, but for how long?

The way I figure it, if you have to buy the machine here at iDigital's
100% markup, I'd buy the cheapest machine that would do the job and
squeeze the last bit out of it you can.

If you can convince your boss to buy one in the U.S. ship it insured air
freight and pay the VAT on it, I'd get the best one made. It will still
be cheaper. Just be sure to keep the VAT receipt with you when ever you
leave the country with it.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838