[geeks] Leopard, was: find - having a senior moment

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jan 17 11:45:51 CST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:26:06PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Maybe it was Control.  The point was, they rejected the entire feature
> suggestion on the basis that one part of it used an optional modifier
> key which wasn't present on one of the by-then-long-obsolete compact
> 1-bit-display diskless Macs, blithely ignoring that at that point the
> *entire OS* was unsupported on that model of Mac because you couldn't
> fit a usable OS image on an 800K floppy.

That's kind of an interesting point, but since I'm not sure which version
you are speaking about, I can't say if it is true or not.

The Original 128k Mac had 400k floppy drives, but it could use the same
keyboard as a Plus if you wanted to "upgrade". It also had 64k ROMS
which did not support folders, double sided disks, hard disks, etc.

Apple sold a serial port hard drive, the original HD-20, which could
be booted either with a floppy and the HD20 INIT or with 128k (Mac Plus)
ROMS installed. These Macs were called the 128Ke or 512Ke, with the 128Ke
being very rare.

Most 128k motherboards were either traded in (for $300) for replacment with
a 512k motherboard, sold for $300 to make the original "hackintosh", or
being simple boards, have the RAM chips replaced with sockets and 512k
bit RAMS put in the sockets.

There were also 3rd party RAM and SCSI upgrades, but Apple usually ignored
them as far as operating system support.

You could also replace the 400k (single sided) drives with an 800k
(double sided) drive if you put the 128K ROMs and used a new floppy
cable.

I'm not sure as it has been 15 years since I've played with one, but
I think you could also plug an 800k external drive in if you had the
ROM upgrade.

I don't know what would fit in 512K of RAM, posssibly System 5,
or some variant of System 6.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838