[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 15:35:26 CST 2008

On 16 Jan 2008, at 21:20, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> Well, I believe that i can use itunes to do what i want and then use
> front row to get the same playback interface as the apple tv, and run
> that on a mac mini and get just what i want, only at three times the
> price of the apple tv.  Thing is, the mini would have additional
> capabilities that the apple tv doesn't have, so i guess it's worth it.

That's what most people who want 'outside the envelope' usage on a TV
ended up doing. Using a Mac mini and a DVI - HDMI cable. If you have
to use custom stuff, or for that matter want to play 1080p media
(which the Apple TV hasn't got the guts to do apparently), and you
want to play DVDs as well as hard drive media, then a Mac mini is a
much better solution all round. I highly recommend Apple's bluetooth
keyboard as an 'extended' remote too, it activates Front Row just fine
on my Mac Pro (I had to use the damned Dock icon until I got it). Of
course you could just use the remote too ;)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>