[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Jan 16 15:20:43 CST 2008

nate at portents.com wrote:
> You would need to hack the AppleTV.  It is just a 1.0GHz Intel Pentium
> M-based Crofton CPU (based on an SSE2 Dothan model) with NVIDIA G72M
> graphics with 64MB DDR2 memory and 256MB of 400MHz DDR2 running OS X off
> either a 40GB or 160GB notebook hard drive.  A starting price of $229
> isn't outrageous considering the hardware, but you could also build your
> own set-top and do more with something like MythTV, but if you don't want
> to make the effort, there are a number of other companies coming out with
> products similar to AppleTV that will be more flexible in what type of
> media they can play back... just expect a lousier interface, and a much
> smaller (or non-existant) amount of commercial content you can purchase
> for those other devices.

Well, I believe that i can use itunes to do what i want and then use
front row to get the same playback interface as the apple tv, and run
that on a mac mini and get just what i want, only at three times the
price of the apple tv.  Thing is, the mini would have additional
capabilities that the apple tv doesn't have, so i guess it's worth it.

    -Dan Sikorski