[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 16 14:18:21 CST 2008

Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Even at $229 I can't really justify an AppleTV.

Let me get this straight.  It's *not* a DVR.  But it can download TV
shows for a per-episode fee, store them to your computer, and play them
back at will as though it *were* a DVR.  Except that you don't have to
have actual TV service.  Right?

> The family and I watch a lot of downloaded TV; things like Doctor
> Who, Top Gear, etc. Unless an AppleTV is appropriately "hacked" that
> content can't be watched; codes need to be added, etc.
>
> The good thing about "hacking" the AppleTV is that there are NES/SNES
> and other emulators built into the "hack" package (google for
> "patchstick") and that makes it a pretty amazing device.

I gotta say, looking at it as $229 plus $1.99/episode vs. cost-of-DVR
plus ridiculous-monthly-cost-of-TV-service, it sounds like a win.

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.