[geeks] Dual-core Celerons? For Schizzle!

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Fri Jan 11 11:06:56 CST 2008

Saith Dave K ...
> On Jan 11, 2008 10:46 AM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
>
> > The 512K-cache Celerons are most likely the 1M non-Celerons
> > where half the cache failed QA.
> >
> > So, turn defective products into lesser-performing profit.
> >
> > Bill
>
> Or the old "we don't have any orders for the 1M parts, just make the
> 512k parts this week".
>
> <WayBack>
> It is my understanding that this was the process in the old days,
> Motorola would test test 6809 wafers at 2Mhz until they filled the
> 68B09 orders, then test at 1.5Mhz for the 68A09 orders, and then at
> 1Mhz for the 6809 orders.  Which is why in the latter production years
> you could (mostly) run any of them at 2Mhz....
>
> Also, remember the 8Kbit DRAM that had two part numbers depending on
> whether you were to use the upper or lower half of the 16Kbit that the
> chip was supposed to have?
> </WayBack>

<EvenFurtherBackMaybe>
Remember floppies?  Actual floppy disks, not the armored 3.5" kind?  They
came in double sided and single sided ... guess how the manufacturers
decided which ones were which?  Right-eroonie!  They had orders for X
double-sided floppies, so the first X that passed DS QC were DS, and the
rest were SS.
</geezer>

-Shel