[geeks] Recommendations for a better broadband router

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:08:56 CST 2008

Michael Parson wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008, at 8:06 AM, hike wrote:
>
> I recommend any of the ones that can take a DD-WRT flash on them.  I
> have used the original Linksys WRT54G (The WRT54GL tends to run about
> $70) and just recently picked up a few Airlink 101 AR430W units for my
> family.  Fry's normally carries the Airlink units for ~$30, but they
> can be found on sale, anywhere from $9.99 to $19.99.

The Buffalo units are supposed to be nice as well, although due to the
CSIRO lawsuit [0] they're almost impossible to find at this point.

> I've had the web interface lock up on me a few times on the DD-WRT,
> but I can usually still ssh into it and issue a 'reboot' command via
> the cli.

I've also heard really good things about the Tomato firmware, but I
haven't had a chance to play with it.

[0]: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30070/97/
[1]:  http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato