[geeks] Recommendations for a better broadband router

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Jan 11 08:14:59 CST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 8:06 AM, hike wrote:

> At home, we use Comcast for broadband. About once a month the cable
> modem
> flakes out.  About once a week our broadband router flakes out.
> (Answers
> pings but can't log into it.)  After big downloads, the router and,
> sometimes, the cable modem flake out.  Resetting the cable modem is
> power-off cable modem then router; power-on the modem then the router.
> Resetting the router is just an off/on.
>
> We are suing a netgear broadband router (<$50).  We previously used a
> linksys router.  Neither have the ability to reset the router "over
> the
> wire" and require a trip to the room with the router and cable modem.
>
> We are looking for a broadband router that can be reset (reloaded,
> rebooted,
> etc.) once we are logged into the router.  (This will eliminate most
> of our
> trips.)
>
> What are you recommendations?

I recommend any of the ones that can take a DD-WRT flash on them.  I
have used the original Linksys WRT54G (The WRT54GL tends to run about
$70) and just recently picked up a few Airlink 101 AR430W units for my
family.  Fry's normally carries the Airlink units for ~$30, but they
can be found on sale, anywhere from $9.99 to $19.99.

I've had the web interface lock up on me a few times on the DD-WRT,
but I can usually still ssh into it and issue a 'reboot' command via
the cli.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org