[geeks] LOM and Console on separate serial ports on T1 105?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:07:43 CST 2008

On 7 Jan 2008, at 23:42, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Mark wrote:
>
>>> Try using the LOM escape sequence.  The default is '#.', I believe.
>>
>> Thanks - another gem of Sun knowledge I didn't have :)
>>
>> Is that like a 'Stop-A' command? Can I press that to enter a LOW
>> terminal, then an exit command to get out again?
>
> As far as I know, it does not interrupt the system.  It merely hands
> control of the port back to LOM.  From there, you can enter a
> command to
> get back to the regular console.  I -think- that command is "console".
>
>> Is there any way to do a factory reset of the OpenBoot env vars from
>> the LOM console or on the hardware?
>
> man eeprom

That's on OS command I believe? I could be wrong, but the man command
implies this. I have used it to set framebuffer modes (on a SS10) in
the OB from inside Solaris IIRC.

My Netra doesn't even get that far by a long way - there's no OS
installed and even if it were I never have my OpenBoot/Firmware
machines set to auto-boot (with the exception of Macs - they make it a
bit harder to do than your average Sun/IBM/HP). When I say jump, they
jump. Trouble is someone stole my loudhailer for this machine ;)
That's why I specifically asked for a LOM or hardware method.

You'd have thought that on a headless server Sun would have made sure
you couldn't kill the console, and if you could there was an easy-ish
way to get it back :P

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: