[geeks] PM Home Handyman Encyclopedia & Guide (1961)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jan 5 19:00:45 CST 2008

I recently came across a 4-volume set of the Popular Mechanics Illustrated
Home Handyman Encyclopedia & Guide (from 1961) in the bargain bin at a
local used book store.  Of course, I grabbed them.

The ~4000 pages of projects are amazing - it's basically your grandparents'
equivalent of MAKE Magazine.  Tons of the projects wouldn't even be printed
today due to liability concerns.

Everything from planning/building/remodeling a house, woodworking,
metalworking, making your own boat/go-cart/children's playground equipment,
indoor shooting ranges, to gardening, farming, and equipment to make
handling your animals easier.

Over the past four days I've taken pictures of the title pages and
illustrations for the most interesting articles, and put them up on Flickr.
I've also contacted Popular Mechanics to see about getting permission to
break out the scanner and make proper PDFs of the best projects.

The Flickr collections page, with one set for each volume, is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/collections/72157603639900790/

Bill

--
Bill Bradford