[geeks] Need Advice

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 4 23:32:00 CST 2008

>From: Ido Dubrawsky <idubraws at dubrawsky.org>
>Date: 2008/01/04 Fri PM 01:02:58 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Need Advice

>Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhh...I missed that one. It works now.  Still, I suspect
>I'll put a new power supply in there because I'm concerned that the 300W
>one will be insufficient to drive all the devices that I'll have in the
>system.
>
>Thanks for the help and I'd still like advice regarding whether I should
>put in a Seasonic or a ThermalTake power supply.

I like Antec, and they have several 80+ power supplies that are rated 80%
efficient. I have never had a problem with Antec, except for one bad PS (came
with Antec case), RMA was trivial - I told them the symptoms, ran through my
debugging (power supply tester), and they agreed to an RMA within 24 hours. It
took a while for the replacement PS to arrive, but I told them there was no
rush (I had a spare PS on the shelf, wasn't interested in an advance
replacement). My sample size of happiness is about a dozen systems, some built
with Antec cases that included Antec PS, some where I added Antec PS to a case
that had none...

#50-500 Watt Antec supplies retail pretty affordably, around $60 or less in
most cases:

$20 (AR) 350 Watt Antec:
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0257451

$60 350 Watt 80+ Antec:
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0252309

Other prices/models at laces like newegg.com, etc...

Lionel