[geeks] Need Advice

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jan 4 08:31:42 CST 2008

Rick Hamell wrote:
>> I'm building a new PC for myself (ASUS A8V motherboard with an AMD
>> Athalon 64 chip -- about 1.9 GHz).  I've installed it into the case
>> (which has an Award PS-300 300W power supply). I'm using an Invidia
>> 7600GT video card AGP video card with 256MB of memory. When I power on
>> the system it's clear that there's power to the machine but I don't get
>> a signal on the monitor nor do I hear any sounds from the speaker (i.e.
>> the ever present, expected, beep).
>
> Almost the same specs and have the same problem. I end up turning it off
> then back on a couple of times. I figure I'll replace the PS one of these
> days but I'm not convinced that is the problem. I think the motherboard
> isn't disabling the onboard Video correctly on mine. I'm waiting for Asus to
> update the BIOS.

Confucius say, "Don't ever buy a motherboard with integrated video
unless you either absolutely can't avoid it, or plan to use the onboard
video for the life of the machine."  I've never once seen onboard
integrated video that didn't cause problems if you wanted to use a
better add-in video card.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.