[geeks] Need Advice

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Fri Jan 4 06:54:27 CST 2008

I'm building a new PC for myself (ASUS A8V motherboard with an AMD
Athalon 64 chip -- about 1.9 GHz).  I've installed it into the case
(which has an Award PS-300 300W power supply). I'm using an Invidia
7600GT video card AGP video card with 256MB of memory. When I power on
the system it's clear that there's power to the machine but I don't get
a signal on the monitor nor do I hear any sounds from the speaker (i.e.
the ever present, expected, beep).

Anyway, I suspect that the power supply does not like the motherboard
(or vice versa -- even though ASUS says that a 300W power supply should
be able to drive the board) and I'm looking into replacing the power
supply with something beefier.  I'm looking at the SeaSonic S12II series
(because it's 80 plus certified) but I'm also looking at some of the
ThermalTake power supplies.  Does anyone have any advice as to one over
the other?  Anyone have experience with either or both?

Thanks,
Ido
--
Ido Dubrawsky