[geeks] Java Workstation - Windows Trouble...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Jan 4 03:20:29 CST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:03:35AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

> If you were tearing up a nice piece of SPARC gear, I might care - but
> Sun's PCs are just PCs, and not rare by a long shot.  They're nicely-built,
> but they're just PCs.

Which is my I am generally against running Linux or xBSD on old rare
computers. IMHO if you want to run Linux, any old PC will do just as well
and have the same "look and feel".

Much of what makes those unusual computers unusual is their operating
systems.

With that said, I have Wallstreet Powerbook that runs Linux because it
has too little RAM to and hard disk for OSX, has a dead battery that
would cost more to replace than the computer is worth, and I have
plenty of other Macs ranging from System 6.7 to 10.4. This allows me
to have a small computer tucked in a corner with a relatively modern
SSH client and Firefox, both of which don't run on OS9.

I don't have any more SPARC hardware because I gave it to someone who has more
room, more time and would benefit from learning something besides Windows.

On the other hand, I hope someday to get a bigger hard drive, more RAM
(if possible) and some sort of WiFi for my Tadpole 3GX. :-)

Of all the laptops I've ever used, I prefer it's screen (which is only
800x600) and keyboard.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838