[geeks] Plunge: NEC display on the way

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jan 3 18:26:57 CST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 03:19:50PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> I open the calibrator, and it is impossible to set brightness low
>> enough to make the apple logo disappear, which is what you are
>> supposed to do.
>
> I hate Apple's color calibration.  I use SuperCal instead.
>
> www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

I think Apple's calibration is simply invalid for a lot of modern
displays.

I just tried SuperCal, and it was going great until the part where it
sets the gamma.

The screen went to a very bright, washed out look and it told me to
look at an image and drag the mouse around until it looked good.

The screen was so washed out it never looked good, and it left the
display in that mode.

The resulting profile is a hazy, washed-out look.

I looked at the two color profiles, and noticed that the one SuperCal
made is missing the field "Media black-point tristimulus", which is
0,0,0 in the one the Apple utility made.

Is this a program bug or did I miss something obvious?

Did you see this behavior when using the program?

I think the color curves and overall calibration were much better,
except for this one huge flaw.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com